Job Announcement and Position Description
Posted February 1, 2012
About Colorado Youth at Risk
Colorado Youth at Risk is a community based non-profit organization passionate about the transformational work we provide youth and volunteers in our community. Our mission is to empower teenage students to make life choices that positively impact their future through community-based mentoring and intensive training. Our goal is to increase the number of high school graduates, match students with an adult mentor, and provide students with a sense of the future and their place in that future. We are a financially stable and growing organization that trains and uses significant volunteer involvement. We strive to help youth and volunteers meet their lifelong personal and professional goals.
Purpose of the Position
The Executive Director’s role is both strategic and operational. The Executive Director provides vision and leadership and serves as the chief spokesperson for the organization. S/he is responsible to the Board of Directors for effectively leading and managing the organization toward realizing its mission by implementing its strategic plan, policies and programs.
Our ideal candidate will bring the following key skills and attributes:
- Ability to think strategically, to adapt to adverse or changing business environments, and to bring creativity to problem-solving
- Ability to make business-minded decisions
- Strong networking skills and proven ability to fundraise with diverse constituencies
- Commitment to CYAR’s mission
- Experience partnering with or serving on a nonprofit board of directors
- Experience building deep partnerships or strategic alliances and a desire to analyze alternative organizational structures for CYAR’s future
- Strong staff management and volunteer relations skills, and an ability to develop and lead a strong, committed team
- Partnering with the Board to create and periodically reevaluate the mission, vision, and strategic plan for Colorado Youth at Risk.
- Partnering with staff and the Board to implement and execute the mission and vision through the strategic plan.
- Maintaining an advocacy-driven knowledge of significant developments and trends in youth mentoring and non-profit management.
Operating Fund Development
- Maximizing fund development efforts to generate sufficient funds for CYAR’s budget.
- Leading and supporting revenue-generating activities, events and campaigns directed towards individuals, corporations, foundations, communities, and other partners.
- Analyzing and responsibly implementing activities or programs generating earned income or other revenue.
Operations and Management
- Responsible for managing a minimum budget of $600,000, at least nine staff member, interns, and approximately 400+ volunteers.
- Leading and maintaining accountability for CYAR’s overall operations, including staff, programs, donors, finances, legal, and community relations.
- Establishing and maintaining an effective management team and staff, with appropriate succession planning.
- Maximizing the capabilities of the management team and staff through an efficient organizational structure (chart) and by effectively delegating authority and responsibility.
- Evaluating and motivating staff performance and development.
- Promoting practices, policies, and a culture that attract and retain top quality staff and volunteers.
- Managing and responsibly improving current programs and services.
- Analyzing and responsibly proposing and/or implementing additional programs or services consistent with CYAR’s mission, strategic plan, and budget.
- Providing proven and documented effectiveness of Colorado Youth at Risk programs through measurement systems and reporting.
- Ensuring that sound financial, human resources and legal practices are developed and maintained in compliance with federal, state and local regulations, and that official records and documents are properly prepared and retained.
- Leading and maintaining accountability for the budget planning and forecasting process and ensuring the organization operates within the approved budget.
- Monitoring and ensuring preparation of periodic cash flow and financial forecast reports.
- Managing legal issues as necessary or advisable.
- Promoting, marketing, and representing the mission, vision, strategic plan, and programs of Colorado Youth at Risk to all constituencies, including at public and private events, through social media, and as primary spokesperson to the traditional media.
- Building and maintaining collaboration or partnerships with foundations, nonprofits, governments, agencies, and other community organizations.
Board of Directors
- Managing an efficient working partnership with the Board of Directors up to 15-18 members.
- Working with the Board to promote active and productive participation from Board members through committees and special projects.
- Preparing and disseminating reports to keep the Board fully informed on the condition of Colorado Youth at Risk.
- Assist in recruiting and training new Board members.
- Significant experience at a leadership level in nonprofit management and fundraising.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Skilled at facilitation, conflict resolution and cultivating positive public relations.
- Experienced in financial planning, budgeting and managing an organization’s assets.
- Efficient user of Internet, email and Microsoft Office applications.
- Effective communicator with excellent oral, written and listening communication skills, including strong public and one-on-one presentation skills.
- Assertive and willing to diplomatically challenge the status quo.
- Able to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Highest level of character and integrity.
Full-time exempt position. Primary location at 1700 E 28th Ave. Denver, CO with travel in the Denver Metro area and Colorado required. Requires a flexible work schedule that includes evenings and weekend events.
Competitive salary and benefits for this position and the size of the agency.
To Apply Please submit by email (preferred in PDF in one single document) to: email@example.com – No phone calls please.
- A cover letter stating your interest and specific qualifications for the position, and including brief descriptions of the following:
- An example of your ability to plan, follow through, and achieve desired results.
- Why you feel the CYAR Executive Director position is ideal for you.
- Salary history and requirements.
- A resume outlining your education/experience/achievements.
- Contact information for three references.
We plan to conduct initial in-person interviews during the week of February 27. Review of resumes will begin immediately, and may involve telephone follow-up.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Colorado Youth at Risk is committed to equal opportunity and does not discriminate against its employees, volunteers, member organizations, clients or the public on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, age, gender or gender variance, sexual orientation or veteran status. This policy of nondiscrimination prevails throughout every aspect of the employment, including recruitment, selection, placement, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall and termination. It also prevails throughout all client and volunteer activities.